Re: User behavior + Synchronize = lost data

On Friday 10 February 2006 21:22, Chris Beall wrote:
> Amaya 8.8.3, Windows 98 SE
>
> Scenario:
>
> Open a page in both the Formatted and Source views.  Arrange the windows
> such that the menu commands for both windows are visible.
>
> In the Source view, make a change to the page.
>
> In the Formatted window, click on File, then Synchronize.  (Do not first
> click within the body of the window.)  Your change has now been lost.  In
> the same window, click on Edit, Undo.  The change is still missing.
>
> It appears that Synchronize means "PUSH changes from here (the window where
> the command was invoked) to the other side of the fence", where Source is
> on one side of the fence and all remaining Views are on the other.

Yes it is. As you say, the Formatted view would be updated if you clicked it
first.

> If the user accidentally goes to the wrong side of the fence, then does a
> Synchronize, the current state of that window (without the recent changes)
> will be pushed to where the changes were, thus destroying them.
>
> In spite of the caution on about_synchronized_views.html that "The Source
> view is not automatically synchronized. After making a series of edits in
> the Source view, you must choose File > Synchronize to update the other

No a single click on the other view generates automatically a Synchronize.
I guess things are more clear on the WX version, you cannot activate Menu
entries of the Formatted view as long as the selection is within the Source
view.

> views of the document. Conversely, when you make changes in any other view,
> choose File > Synchronize to update the Source view." it appears that
> changes ARE automatically propagated across the fence as soon as you click
> within the BODY (not the menu)  of the target view.
>
> Suggested change: Extend the current behavior to include any user action
> that moves the focus to a window, e.g. if I change the Source, then click
> on ANY PART of the Formatted view window, my changes are replicated in that
> view (as they are now if I'm careful enough to click within the body of
> that window).

It works this way, but in your case you activated Synchronize in the Formatted
view without selection within this view.