Re: Separation of semantics and styling

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 15:50:18 -0000, Stanimir Stamenkov
<stanio@myrealbox.com> wrote:

> /Christopher Evans/:
>
>> "HTML should represent the semantics of a document."
>>  Surely not! Semantics is to do with meaning. What HTML represents is
>> structure.
>
> What I understand is SGML and XML are generics to represent a structure.
> Specific applications like HTML add semantics to the elements and the
> structure.

This raises interesting questions about the semantic content of
"semantics". Coming from a background in liguistics I take it to mean "the
study of meaning in language", and have no knowledge of its meaning in
logic, mathematics or computer science. But this is perhaps not the place
to continue that discussion.

Christopher

--
christopher@cechinatrans.demon.co.uk