Re: special characters and related font problems.

On Thursday 24 November 2005 10:50, Ivan Herman wrote:
> Using Amaya 9.2.2. on Windows XP.
>
> It is great to have the spacial characters facility to type, eg,
> mathematical symbols. However, the usability of the panel is greatly
> reduced by the fact that, for most of the characters, the symbol itself is
> not visible at all, only the symbolic name (which is way too cryptic most
> of the time).
>
> I guess a preference should set the font to be used there. I do have fonts
> on my machine (eg, Arial Unicode MS) that could display all those
> characters, so...
>
> I also realized a similar problem when editing a file itself. I am not sure
> which font the editor uses as a default, but most of the mathematical
> symbols (added to the file in Unicode UTF-8) are not displayed (although
> they appear perfectly on my, say, firefox screen using the same file).
>
> A final issue related to fonts: if I want to set the font-family to a
> specific font from the left panel, I cannot. The only choice Amaya gives me
> is the generic fonts. Ie, I have to go to the source view...
>
> Ivan
>
> --
>
> Ivan Herman
> W3C Communications Team, Head of Offices
> C/o W3C Benelux Office at CWI, Kruislaan 413
> 1098SJ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
> tel: +31-20-5924163; mobile: +31-641044153;

Hi Ivan,

The list of explored fonts is given by 2 configuration files (I guess you use
the Windows version): Amaya\config\fonts.gl.win and
Amaya\config\fonts.gl.win.nt
where $OSDIR means the system directory and $THOTDIR means the Amaya
directory.
For symbols we use Esstix fonts as the majority of ttf files don't include
these symbols.

Do you remember what symbols are not displayed?