W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-amaya@w3.org > January to March 2005

Screen Display of V9.1 for Windows Badly Broken - Unusable

From: David <lists@systems-go.com.au>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 23:15:41 +1000
To: <www-amaya@w3.org>
Message-ID: <001701c535f3$bd917a00$0a06a8c0@orac>

I have been using V8.4 and 8.7 (on different PCs, and decided it was time to
move to the latest version...  Looks like I'm moving back to V8.7.  I find
the V9.1 is unusable... Here's the details:-

1.  Upon opening an "html" file with Amaya, there is a few flashes of
garbage in the display window (one time it actually stopped on that display
and it was composed of parts of many graphics, distorted together) and then
displayed a plain white display window with no content.

If I click the scroll down arrow once, the page displays correctly (except
for the images to be pulled through the site Proxy (after configuring the
Proxy, this still failed and did not open an authentication dialog, as it
should. - The proxy requires simple authentication).

2. Editing in a table.  The text jumps to a different vertical location on
the screen as soon at the insertion point is defined (click in text). 

3. Selected a partial line of text to replace.  As I type, varying lengths
of selected prior content flash on and off.

4.  After selecting several words, and then clicking to put an insertion
point, the text remains selected, but the extent of selection changes.  Keep
clicking...keeps changing.  It also seems to leave small artifacts of the
selection colour from time to time as the selection changes.  Even clickiing
in other cells in the table causes the extent of selection in the original
selection to change...and keep changing.

5. When selecting test that is expected to scroll past the bottom of the
window, it doesn't.  (I've seen a previous report that says this is fixed!

Tried turning Ant-Aliasing off....  Better, but still causes vertical offset
of portions of lines when an insertion poiunt is created.  Even segments of
multiple lines display as disjoint, with varying length sections displaced
vertically in the display window.

I'm running a Compaq Evo (Desktop) with Windows XP-SP1 with a screen
resolution of 1152 x 864 on Intel 82845G graphics controller, not that it
should make any difference.

I've seen one other report of "Distorted Text", but it does not even come
close to describing the observed misbehaviour that I am experiencing... 

I've backed out to V8.73, as V9.1 is simply unusable, even for simple text
editing.  I didn't even try to add or change any Tags.

Regards
David Hunt
Received on Thursday, 31 March 2005 13:15:45 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 1 April 2014 11:01:43 UTC