getting math structures into user-read code

From: Martin Channon <mgcqso@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 11:41:41 -0500
To: www-amaya@w3.org

Greetings Folks,

I'm new to Amaya, and I have a little problem that I'm hoping someone
can help me with. I'm trying to use the pallet of math structures (e.g.,
radicals, matrices, structures for superscripts and subscripts), but
whenever I put one of these into the code, it doesn't show up in the
reader-used text. I've tried everything I could think of; nothing works.
Here is the sequence of commands I'm using:

File
New
New XHTML1.1 document
Open (in a dialog box)
"Math" button in pallet
Radical sign (or other structure)
Type in arguments
File
Save As HTML or XML
Save

Can someone tell me where I have gone wrong?

Thanks.

Martin