Re: CSS problem with Amaya - 9.0-pre4 Dec 15 2004

From: Anders Nawroth <list@nawroth.com>
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2005 20:16:27 +0100
To: www-amaya@w3.org

Now I have found out what the problem is about.
I found two different problems with Amaya:

1. link to CSS does not work this way:

> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="all" href="/main.css" />

Using href="main.css" (relative-path reference) works.
An absolute URI also works in Amaya.

But not the "absolute-path reference". (A relative reference beginning
with a single slash character -- RFC 2396)
In <a> elements Amaya has no difficulties to parse such hrefs.

2. Amaya renders negative margins wrong.

Take a look at this testpage in different browsers:

This way to create columns is based upon the CSS2 standard, see:
"A float can overlap other boxes in the normal flow (e.g., when a normal
flow box next to a float has negative margins). "

I base most of my layouts on negative margins (works in IE5+ Firefox
0.7+ Opera 7+ ...).