Re: Amaya 8.7, auto-insert of alt attribute

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:43:18 -0400 (EDT)
charles@w3.org wrote:

> This is a shame, and a step backwards in conformance to accessibility
> guidelines [1,2] :-( I hope that this is reversed soon.
>
> cheers
>
> Chaals

Amaya still asks the user to enter the ALT value when an image is created.

What changed concerns the parsing of invalid (X)HTML.
Since the 8.7 version Amaya reports a parsing error when the downloaded
(X)HTML document doesn't provide ALT attributes for included images and it
prepares the work to help authors add these missing attributes and so fix their
documents.
Of course, if authors don't complete the attributes values, Amaya had generated
default ALT values, but it now pulish valid document.
I don't consider that as a step backwards.

> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/ATAG10/atag10.html#check-no-default-alt
>    [[[
>     Do not automatically generate equivalent alternatives.
>    ]]]
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/ATAG10-TECHS/imp3#check-no-default-alt
>
> > It appears that since Amaya 8.7 'missing' alt attributes are
> > automagically inserted into a html file at save.
> >
> > This is somehow akward to me as I use to do part of my editing directly
> > into the html file before loading it into amaya. When I've finished
> > editing I perform some postprocessing using a perl script that a.o. adds
> > missing alt attributes by copying existing title attributes.
> >
> > I haven't been able to figure out how to disable the automatic addition
> > of alt attributes. Any hints? Do I need to downgrade?

Why you don't insert mandatory ALT attributes and change your perl script
to copying existing ALT attributes into TITLE  attributes which are not mandatory?