Re: Use of PUT method with %20 in url

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 17:11:55 -0700 (PDT)
George Herson <gherson@snet.net> wrote:

> hi,
>
> I've converted a file-based document management system
> to one that uses a MySQL database and http with PUT
> uploads. Amaya is the front-end. Things seem to work
> except for:
>
> Amaya 8.5 on Win98 and Amaya 7.1 on Debian Linux
> (kernel 2.2.20), work with my PUT publishing PHP and
> Perl scripts except that whenever I try to save to an
> http:// url with %20 anywhere in it Amaya returns e.g.
> "Failed to save to URL
> http://mydomain.com/putdir/HP%20BJC.html  Operation
> completed with a -1 status code". Even when I reduce
> the underlying PUT script to a simple, 1-line call to
> a log file, I get this error.  Yet when I manually set
> the incoming filename to one with "%20" in it, the PUT
> script works fine so I think Amaya may have a bug.
>
> ideas?

%20 is the HTTP encoding of the space character.
We made some experiments:
- when the document URL includes a space, Amaya translates that space
  and sends the right string to the server.
- when the document URL includes a %20, Amaya doesn't translate that %20
  and sends that string to the server.
This seems correct, but you have a problem.
Could you send us a concrete example and the log of the server (what is received)?