Re: search and replace problems

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Irene Vatton wrote:

>On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 04:59:58 -0800
>Tom Cloyd <emdrportal@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>> I continue to have serious problems with search and replace in HTML
>> source files. Basically, I simply can't get it to work reliably. Yes,
>> edit mode is on when this happens. I wish that were the problem (no edit
>> mode) but it isn't.
>>
>> I just tried to find all instances of ">tool<" and do either a replace
>> on request or an automatic replace, "in the whole document", such that
>> the string becomes ">page tools<". There were at least four instances of
>>    the search string in the file, but Amaya told me it couldn't find any.
>
>Due to the coloration, the searched text is within 3 different elements ">"
>"tool" and "<". To be able to do that we need to change radically the search
>algorithm. One other solution would be to remove the coloration on request.

Having to understand that Amaya has some interenal mechanism for colouring
source code that breaks its ability to search across colours is not very
intuitive for users. I think a much better solution is to change the search
algorithm so it can search across element boundaries and find text as
it is rendered in a particular view.

just my personal opinion

Chaals