Re: I like Amaya (as 51th), Views

On Wed, Jan 01, 2003 at 08:59:35AM -0500, veith.risak wrote:

[snip]

> ? I can find easier orphan-annotations.
>   But annoations are not comfortable, when writing articles, which change
>   very often.
>   Annotations are not new. I found them first in Hyperties 3 (Cognetics),
>   which died because of www.
>   In HTIES 3 it was possible to annotate every article (but not selected
>   parts of it). Then an editor-widow, similar to Annotea (with all the
>   necessary metas) opened and could be edited.
>   All annotations were in one single file.
>   Orphan-annotations were possible only, if I deleted an article
>   completely.
>   I think this simpler concept would suffice for Annotea too.

[snip]

Veith,

Thanks for your comments.

With respect to annotations, did hyperties allow to annotate paragraphs
in a document or just the whole document? You can do both with the Amaya
implementation.

However, the annotation of live documents requires special considerations in
function of the granularity of what you're annotating. Have you read the
Amaya annotations help document? I described some cases there.

The only solutions today for annotation live documents is to either
annotate the whole document (but you loose the fine granularity of
annotations), or, if you're the author of the document, add ID
attributes to elements (e.g., all the P elements) and attach annotations
to those attributes (the granularity here is that of the element).

With Amaya, you can add ID attributes using the Special / Add Remove IDs
function.

If you have some other ideas on how to make more robust annotations,
such as other ways of using XPointer, feel free to join the
www-annotation@w3.org mailing list.

-jose