Re: (newbie) Recompile necessary?

Daniel,

You are right!  Xslt did the trick, thanks for the tip.  I can document a
program via Amaya, using all it's functionality (color, fonts, hyperlinks, CSS,
etc), and then only output the embedded source code, and run my program!  With
Amaya no weave step is necessary.  To show relationships etc, I can even use SVG
to draw on the embedded source code (though not that easily).

After learning some xslt and compiling a version of PHP with Sablotron's
(apparently excellent) xslt processor, the extremely simple scripts below were
all that was needed.

My questions so far are:

1.) How do I stop Amaya from changing the trailing "/>" in the <meta> tag to ">"
in html docs?  Xslt requires strict xml input, so for empty elements, the
trailing "/" is always nec before the ">", as in:  <meta
http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html" />.  But every time I save in
Amaya's Formatted view, it removes that last slash.  When I removed the whole
line, Amaya re-added it.  When i tried instead adding </meta> after the line,
Amaya removed it.  My work around is to only save the doc in Source view (but
Amaya still isn't too happy about it, eg, she'll crash or show "0&@@?" in the
title bar instead of the doc's title).  The reason I don't simply tell Amaya I'd
like to save the document as xml is because I could not get <xsl:apply-templates
select> to select anything when the input doc was saved as xml.  E.g.,
<xsl:template match="/">
    random text
    <xsl:apply-templates select="//span"/>
</xsl:template>     outputs only "random text".  Changing <span> to <pre> or
<h5> didn't help.  As soon as i saved the input doc as html, however (by
removing the Amaya-inserted <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?> <html
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">), the select worked fine.  I repeated this
test to confirm.

2.) Why is Amaya adding text to this line?:
// if (eregi ("<title>(.*)</title>", $line, $out)) {

becomes after saving:

whitespace here <span class="code">", $line, $out)) {

In the doc's header I had a style class named "code" that I renamed to
"span.code" but it didn't help.  So i simply deleted the line since it was
unneeded (this time).

Thanks.

File litprog.xsl:
<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
      xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/strict">
<xsl:output method="text" indent="yes" encoding="UTF-8"/>

<!-- Avoid outputting header: -->
<xsl:template match="/html/head">
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="/html/body">
    <!-- We're only interested in elements of the following type.
         Nothing else is output. -->
    <xsl:apply-templates select="/html/body/pre/span[@class='code']"/>
</xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

File litprog.php:
<?php
// This script processes the given input file with the given xslt file.
// This script is a mod of
// http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.xslt-process.php's example 1. 8/5/02.

// Allocate a new XSLT processor.
$xh = xslt_create();

// Define files.
$input = '/home/httpd/html/orgtxt/Ideas & Projects/ping_my_domains.php.html';
$transformer = 'litprog.xsl';
$output = 'output.php';

// Process the document.
if( xslt_process( $xh, $input, $transformer, $output )) {
     print "SUCCESS, $input was transformed by $transformer into $output";
     print ", $output has the following contents\n<br>\n";
     print "<pre>\n";
     readfile( $output );
     print "</pre>\n";
} else {
     print "Sorry, $input could not be transformed by $transformer into";
     print "  $output.  The reason is: " . xslt_error($xh) . " and the ";
     print "error code is " . xslt_errno($xh);
}
xslt_free($xh);
?>

These enable what i'd call "semi" literate programming because I can't vary the
order of the code chunks: they have to be sequential.  I believe I can remove
that restriction if I find it to be a problem.  Similarly, the mapping from
literate program to source code file is 1:1, but since Sablotron can handle
multiple output files, that restriction is probably also surmountable.

I can explain parts of xslt i had to discover by trial and error if there's
interest.  I'll eventually post more info to my website, http://DatainFormation.com.

regards,
George Herson