Re: Tidy Integration

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Irene Vatton wrote:

  > Certainly it is a possibility - the question is where to integrate it?
  >
  > It would be useful to be able to run tidy over content that is imported into
  > Amaya. At the moment Amaya tries to do error correction on pages so it can
  > render them. It would be good if there were more detail available about what
  > it has changed, and if it was integrated it should be possible to use the
  > resources of the Amaya team for something else, and leave the development of
  > error correction to the Tidy project.
  >
  > As an alternative, it might be useful to be able to run tidy over a source
  > view of a document.
  >
  > In either case, maybe it should be possible to attach it via the
  > edit->transformations menu. It has some neat functions like removing font
  > tags and converting them to stylesheet rules that would be good to have in
  > Amaya (maybe this function could be attached via the styles menu seperately).
  >
  > It might also be a good example of how to use Tidy in another program.

  I don't think a strong integration is necessary. As Amaya works always on
  local temporary files, these files can be processed by Tidy first. Any
  Amaya contributor can work on that integration. He has to add the
  launching of Tidy at the right time. But that will generate some problems
  because in this case the document displayed by Amaya won't be the
  original document. Errors will be fixed without feedback and the document
  tree will be altered so existing and new generated annotations will be
  broken.

The lack of feedback is why it would be good to have a strong integration
mechanism. Doing it through the transformations makes sense because there is
already a mechanism for altering the document - the necessity is to add a
mechanism for feedback during transformations.

It would be good to have this mechanism to also allow contributors to add
(for example) the ability to use an XSLT processor on a fragment of a
document (up to and including the whole document).

(I think this is related to the ability to launch a "helper application" -
for example to play flash - if necessary in a seperate application (like Lynx
does).

Cheers

Charles