Re: sidebar menus

In article <3CD124F8.21869.70C3A1@localhost>,
   John Russell <ve3ll@rac.ca> wrote:

> Amaya does not support frames.
>   Is this a resources unavailable for implementing issue or
>   is it philosophical in that group believes there are alternate
>   techniques that accomplish the same goals.
> If it is the latter, i would like someone to show me or point me to
> design notes or pages that have implemented in css or html4

>   Using tables is so bizzarre and archaic for several reasons:
> 1] one must repeat content on all pages with sidebar -- a real
>      maintenance headache.

     Surely most professional web sites are generated from some application
- even if it is as simple as a page generating script in PHP or Python, etc

> 2] menu scrolls off screen just when you need it most.

     I'm not quite sure what you mean by a menu here - you were referring
to a table - in my experience a menu is entirely hideen until selection is
about to be made (eg onhover or onclick activities).

> 3] no scrollbar for long menu... you must scroll main screen tsk! tsk!
> the w3.org main page is a good demo of what not to do

     A matter of opinion - I personally MUCH prefer to scroll the whole
window contents (I presume that you didn't mean screen - 'cos that is an
entirely different kettle of fish (so to speak)!

> can anyone point me at what TO DO to achieve sidebar menus
> without frames or ugly table construct.   An inquiring mind needs to
> know!

     Again I beg to suggest that ugliness is a matter of taste not
technical necessity.  I actually like tables and use them several times on
every page I have ever written.

     I don't think trhat we ought to get into the wars about this - it is a
matter of taste - I always go for a no frames page in preference to on
ewith frames - so much easier to control and see what is going on!  But
that is just my opinion of course!!

                                kh

--
City Desk