Re: [Fwd: View source in Amaya 5.2]

At 16:40 24/11/2001 +0100, you wrote:

>But the strange thing is:
>
>- I wrote the special characters ä, ö, ü, ... in the window source view as
>ä ö ...
>than stored them. (Check with emacs gave: codes ok)
>Than exited Amaya
>Reopened Amaya and reloaded document.
>??? But then the codes were gone and only ä, ö, ü appeared.

Ok, now this is clear.
My personal opinion is that Amaya automagically translates entities in
ISO-Latin-1
characters. From its point of view, it makes sense: as you know, the standard
says that HTML has ISO-8859-1 as its default coding, and XML is even more
liberal. If Amaya adds the charset at the beginning of the file, there is no
problem for interoperability, and using ä, ö, ü improves readability of the
text.

I am sending this to the list in Cc:, so that the developers may comment on my
guess!

tschuess, .mau.