Amaya 5.1 MathML trouble with congruent vs. approximately-equal

From: Michael Bowen <fizzbowen@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2001 17:21:05 -0700
To: www-amaya@w3.org
I am using Amaya to create MathML snippets for my mostly non-mathematical
web pages.

I noticed that the Greek Alphabet menu in the Amaya MathML editor also
contains some handy math symbols, one of which is the approximately-equal
symbol, located in the fourth row of the grid, immediately to the left of
capital Greek "alpha". (It looks like a tilde stacked on top of a standard
equals sign.) One of my "equations" is only approximately correct, so I
tried to use this symbol for the first time today. Upon clicking the
symbol, Amaya incorrectly writes this into the file as the character entity
&Congruent;, rather than as &cong; (equivalent to &#8773; or U+2245,
according to Chapter 24 of the HTML 4.0 spec). The next time Amaya opens,
it displays the incorrect expression as an identity symbol (this looks like
an equals sign with a 50% bonus).

Although I can fix the symbol by hand (and it thankfully stays fixed, once
I correct it), I am hoping that the fix would be a "quickie" replacement of
the &Congruent; string with a &cong; string in a table somewhere.
Unfortunately, IANAP (I am not a programmer), so I can't do it myself.

I am running the Windows 95/98 precompiled binary, downloaded from the
public Amaya site. Thank you for your consideration.

--MB