Re: Access key feature request

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Irene Vatton wrote:

  > Is it possible to make access key directly activate the control instead of
  > just moving the focus there? (in browse mode, as a dynamic user selection)

  When an access key is associated to a link, it normally activates the link.
  When it's associated to a form input or a label it moves the focus there.
  Do you detected a bug in the implementation?

No, there is no bug in the implementation thgat I ahve noticed. But being
able to change this behaviour would be useful for some people - for blind
users, accesskey is often more helpful if it moves focus without activating
links, but for visual users who have motor disabilities it is often more
useful if it does activate a control immediately (both a link and toggling a
form control).

  > Is it possible to make accesskeys available with no modifier in browse mode?

  Of course it's possible but what I read about access keys proposed to use a
  modifier (Meta, or Control).

This is something the HTML specification suggests might be done, but isn't
required. For just browsing, it is even better not to have a modifier (like
in iCab). This is also recognised in the user agent accessibiltiy guidelines,
which ask for functions to be made available with a single keypress (i.e. no
modifier).

(If the keyboard file could be changed according to browser or editor mode
this would be possible too - more feature request.

Cheers

Charles