Amaya and XBL?

From: Rzepa, Henry <h.rzepa@ic.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:14:46 +0100
To: www-amaya@w3.org
Whilst  I realize that http://www.w3.org/TR/xbl/ is just a submission,
and has a way to go before becoming a recommendation, I am very
impressed with its power to bind  domain specific namespaces to
browser supported  DOM components,

For example Alex Fritze (http://www.croczilla.com/svg )
was able to produce a simple  CSS stylesheet calling XBL
bindings which allows  inline rendering of  a non-SVG
namespace into  SVG.  Thus the  Croczilla browser
can directly render as SVG http://www.croczilla.com/svg/cml/diazepam.xml
(which consists of  pure CML with a  CSS stylesheet ).

This approach to extending the namespaces handled by eg  Amaya
seems highly flexible.

Can I ask the  Amaya team or anyone else to comment on whether they see
this as one way forward for extending the namespaces that
can  be directly handled by a browser, or whether other mechanisms
are envisaged (I assume here that the plugin/applet method
is assumed passe; neither of which of course is handled by
Amaya).  Put simply, what should chemistry, via eg one
of its domain specific namespaces  CML,  plan for strategically?
--

Henry Rzepa. +44 (0)20 7594 5774 (Office) +44 (0870) 132-3747 (eFax)
Dept. Chemistry, Imperial College, London, SW7  2AY, UK.