Re: Amaya 5.1 turns Hebrew entities into whitespace

Dan,

Thanks for pointing this out. This is clearly a bug.
It is fixed now and non-renderable characters are
displayed as small boxes. This will be available with
the next binary release. You can also compile the updated
version from the CVS base.

Vincent.

Dan Herrick wrote:

> http://www.NatReformAssn.org/lexrex/hebrew.html
> is an index of Hebrew quotations and phrases in
> a larger work. The links in that page link to
> the places where the phrases appear in the
> larger work.
>
> Amaya 5.1 renders the phrases themselves as
> whitespace (having the effect of indenting
> the "(?)" I've placed after one of them).
>
> Previous versions displayed an open box to
> indicate the presence of an unrendered
> character. I believe this previous behaviour
> is required by the specifications:
>
>     7. If it encounters an entity reference (other than one of the
>        predefined entities) for which the User Agent has processed no
>        declaration (which could happen if the declaration is in the external
>        subset which the User Agent hasn't read), the entity reference should
>        be rendered as the characters (starting with the ampersand and ending
>        with the semi-colon) that make up the entity reference.
>     8. When rendering content, User Agents that encounter characters or
>        character entity references that are recognized but not renderable
>        should display the document in such a way that it is obvious to the
>        user that normal rendering has not taken place.
>
> for example, from section 3.2 of
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#normative
>
> (The race to standards compliance heats up -
> the Netscape 6 with Gecko that I download some
> months ago displays the characters [except for
> some combiners] but backwards, the Internet
> Explorer 5.5 that I downloaded yesterday
> displays the Hebrew correctly. It is really
> refreshing to see Microsoft in the lead
> [however fleetingly] in a matter of standards
> compliance. And, because one of your goals is
> to encourage attention to the standards, this
> development from Redmond should give you
> some satisfaction.)
>
> (Another kudo - recently, I have been typing the
> lexrex project into Amaya to get the text itself,
> then doing more markup in emacs and with perl
> scripts, and it looks like the windows unicode
> character browser may be the easiest way I have
> found so far to enter the Greek and Hebrew
> quotations. I started the project doing it all
> in emacs and the earlier version of Amaya became
> the easier tool to start things with.)
>
> dan     dlh@dlh.com
> http://www.NatReformAssn.org/ - Explicitly Christian Politics

Vincent Quint                       INRIA Rhône-Alpes
W3C/INRIA                           ZIRST
e-mail: Vincent.Quint@w3.org        655 avenue de l'Europe
Fax:  +33 4 76 61 52 07             38334 Saint Ismier Cedex
                                    France