Re: Character Styles Don't Work

Dave J Woolley stated the following:

> > From: SoloCDM [SMTP:deedsmis@aculink.net]
> >
> > Nothing, although I achieve the same thing with the files default.
> > Also, experience has taught me that I have more control when I avoid
> > the preformatted styles.
>
>         Incidentally, although Amaya 4.2.1 for NT produces the
>         typical GUI browser rendering of STRONG and EM (bold and
>         italic), there is no requirement that a browser should. To
>         ensure this specific rendering, you need to use style sheets
>         on a visual browser that is physically capable of producing
>         the effects in question.

My version of Amaya didn't come with CSS.  I understood it needs to be
downloaded from some sight.  If so, how and where?

> > > Also, I believe that browsers are within their rights to
> >
> > Does your browser collapse the output at the intended syntax?

>         sequences and leaves a single blank line between each
>         non-trivial paragraph.

Lynx objects to a lot of things.

>         From section 3.1 of the HTML 4.01 specification
>         <http://www.w3.org/TR/html40/struct/text.html#h-9.3.1>:

I've never had the impression that it is a *hard* set rule (this is it
and no objections are allowed).

> We discourage authors from using empty P elements. User agents should ignore

Who is "we"?

>         empty P elements.
>         [DJW:]
>         (Putting <br> or &nbsp; in empty paragraphs are basically hacks
>         to try to stop tbe browser realising they are empty. <br> is
>         itself collapsible.)

What is the alternative?

> Note: When you reply to this message, please include the mailing
>       list/newsgroup address in Cc: and my email address in To:.
>
>         [DJW:]  If you are not subscribed, you have almost certainly lost
>         some of the thread already.  A number of people actually
>         object quite strongly when this is done in reply to their list
>         contributions.  (In fact, your article has not yet appeared on the
>         list, because it has to be forwarded by the list maintainer.)

What are you trying to say when, "people actually object quite
strongly"?  I am subscribed.

Note: When you reply to this message, please include the mailing
      list/newsgroup address in Cc: and my email address in To:.

Signed,
SoloCDM