XML Word Processing (was: Question)

> From:	Neil Smith [SMTP:neil_smith@newton.co.uk]
>
> I assume that everyone will soon want to create their word 'processed
> documents'
> in XML.  I would just like to know what the easiest and most future
> proofed
> method is.
[DJW:]
I assume that most will continue to create them in WYSIWYG, i.e. without
regard to a machine representation of document structure
or the nature of the machine readable format!  Most
people find the structure imposed by proper use of XML too difficult; well
under 10% of web sites have properly structured HTML.

If they want to use XML because it is fashionable, they will continue
to use Microsoft Word, but, instead of saving in OLE structured files they
will save as "XHMTL", where that really means a mixture of XHTML XML and
proprietory XML, with the latter providing the Word semantics.

I think you are confusing XML with particular applications of XML.  Word
2000 XHTML attempts to be valid XML (I haven't checked) but is still
proprietory.  XML is a framework for markup languages, not a specific
markup language.  DOCBOOK XML is an open specification for an application
of XML for technical documents, but is radically different from Word 2000
XML (it is probably not suitable for the average word processor user as it
is strongly structured). Assuming Word 2000 XML is valid, both it and
DOCBOOK can equally claim to be XML even though one is proprietory and I'd
be surprised if Word 2000 could render DOCBOOK as anything other than the
source text.