RE: Is there a STRICT Browser?

Speaking only for myself, I don't believe there is a browser that is
strictly conforming to the Strict DTDs of either HTML 4.01 or XHTML 1.0.
Amaya seems to be the closest.

As an alternative, you might consider having your students validate their
code through HTML Tidy before they attempt to run it. The link is available
at http://www.w3.org/ and Tidy is free, which might fit your budget. <g>

Regards,
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer