RE: Frames, client side maps, URL guessing etc. (was: Amaya 4.2.1 )

> From:	Murrell, Thomas [SMTP:TMurrell@alldata.net]
>
> > Will W3C be making such an announcement in the near future?

[DJW:]  As someone else has pointed out, they have
already gone beyond that and completely removed them
from the next specification.  The warning period is
over.

Also, as I pointed out, the high profile sites that have
been around a long time have almost unanimously eliminated
them.  It's all the e-business sites. which just copy each
other and don't read the standards or analyze the leaders,
that still use them.  They do tend to be in the majority,
though.

Frames cause lots of problems for the web model, e.g. standard
URLs can only point at a frameset or a frame (hence the endemic
use of scripting to re-instate the frameset, often breaking
deep linking and/or the back button.  (I believe some browsers
no longer use URLs as bookmarks, so that they can bookmark the
complete frameset combination.)