RE: character entity entries

On 28 Jun 2001, at 18:46, Dave  J Woolley wrote:
> > From:	John Russell [SMTP:ve3ll@rac.ca]
> >
> > What is the procedure for entering character entities other
> > than those on the accented characters list.
> > For example thorn is missed as well as the representations
> > for cent, pound sterling, euro, copyright etc.
>  [DJW:]  [DJW:]
>  The normal OS mechanism, e.g. for Windows,
>  ALT-0163, or cut and paste from charmap.
>  For GBP, of course, you just type in, if you
>  are using a British keyboard.
charmap does ok at direct entry of character as single byte
into a file ... but what if one prefers the character entity as
 Ø or the &###; style of entry. ???
Amaya will be doing this next round and i am just suggesting
that they have a method that includes all (latin-1) entities.
currently some are missed in the standadard acentted entry way
and a few more are missed in the optional method.

> > Perhaps the page that deals with accented characters can be expanded
> > to include all the entities (ie generalized).  Personally I would
>  [DJW:]
>  There are around 60,000 numeric entities.  XML only has
>  four or five named character entities common to all
>  applications.>
at present i am only concerned with the latin-1 entities. If some
can be done Amaya way , then why not all
> > like to see pallets for this but for the moment if the procedure
> > was clearly documented (and a help menu pointer to same)
>  [DJW:]
>  If it's not clearly documented, and you are using Windows,
>  complain to Microsoft.
>
>  [DJW:]  Chinese on a non-Chinese build of Windows is more
>  difficult (Amaya doesn't support such characters yet, though);
>  you have to enter them into a form in IE and then cut and
>  paste them (works to get them into paintbrush).  Actually,
>  Mozilla appears to hook into the the Chinese input method that
>  is provided for IE and allows one to compose in Chinese without
>  subterfuges.  This is for NT; I think that Win 98 Unicode
>  support is less good.
>
>  Character input methods really ought not to be the realm of
>  individual applications.
> [DJW:]
once agn -- not looking at pure entry but for the named character entity
method using & and ; as bracketing

> --
> except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of BTS.

John Russell, VE3LL@RAC.CA
http://www.cgocable.net/~jrussel
Be sure to check your HTML markup
tags by using validator.w3.org