Re: [www-amaya] <none>

From: Irene Vatton <Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 17:50:40 +0200
To: love26@gorge.net (William Loughborough)
Cc: www-amaya@w3.org, Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr
> So I tried my "troubleshooter's hat" on I reduced the file to

> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd" >
> <head>
> <title>Amaya bug ?</title>
>
> </head>
> hello, world
>
> which no longer hangs but produces the error message
>
> "document coding unknown or undefined - see the log file."

What version of Amaya are you using?
Often when there is no encoding associated to the document is
supposed UTF-8 encoded if it's a XML document and ISO-8859-1 encoded
if it's a HTML document. That makes an important difference and it's
why Amaya informs the user that the document could be misinterpreted.

> but I ran out of experience with "log files" so don't know where to turn?
> Has someone placed hidden characters in there to test our mettle? Is God
> playing a trick on us?

This could be due to a bug, but I'm not able to reproduce it.