HTTP/0.9 downgrade???

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:14:55 -0600
To: www-amaya@w3.org
I just tried to get
	http://www.w3.org/Team/2000/03/Amsterdam.html
proxied thru jigedit, and I got:

	"Error: Server or network forced libwww to downgrade to
	HTTP/0.9 for this host. Please quite Amaya.w3"

What the heck is that? Could you please just cut out that part of
libwww?
As I recall, libwww keeps a cache of info that it knows about various
hosts, in an attempt to interoperate with old broken servers. The
problem
is, as I recall, there's no way to refresh that cache. Once it
learns something, you're stuck.

I'd rather have it just assume HTTP 1.1 and deal with any problems that
arise...
i.e. treat HTTP like the stateless protocol that it is.

I hope we don't hack amaya to deal with broken HTTP servers and HTML
pages to the point that it forgets how to deal with servers
and pages that are not broken ;-)