Re: Bug report for release 2.4 on linux

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000 Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr wrote:
[...]
> > When trying to load a page not on the local computer, I get an error:
[...]
> That could be due to a temporary trouble on the net or a different timeout
> value.

In fact, further investigation has shown that Amaya sees the outside world
if a numeric IP address is used, but does not connect to symbolic
addresses, even as named is running on the local machine, and netscape,
telnet, ssh, ftp all seem to have no problem resolving names. However,
Amaya is able to resolve "localhost". My installation of named is
several years old, and is configured as a caching/forwarding server. Any
ideas?

> It seems you're probably using a proxy which is automatically configured
> by Netscape, but not by Amaya. Could you check. See the menu
> Special->Preferences->Proxy

I am not using a proxy. However, if I run a proxy on the local host, and
enter it in Amaya's configuration, then it works fine, in particular the
DNS names get resolved (by the proxy I presume).

> > 2. "non-existant" should be spelled "non-existent".
>
> This will be fixed in the next release. You can also fix it in the dialogue
> file Amaya/config/en-amayamsg

In fact, many of the files in Amaya/config contain spelling errors. I have
attached a diff-file that fixes those that I found. In particular I
thought is was funny, that according to one message in en-amayamsg
"These changes won't be effective until Amaya is retarted"

> > When displaying the page structure (Ctrl-v Ctrl-s) of
> > "http://www.tux.org/~mayer/linux/results2.1.html" the vertical lines
> > get messed up.

I found out that this is also true of the binary release 2.4 of Amaya
running under SunOS 5.6. However, the lines get messed up somewhat
differently.

> > When displaying any page, then displaying the page structure with
> > Ctrl-v Ctrl-s, then moving the mouse into the structure window,
> > hitting the page-down key once (or several times) and the up-arrow key
> > several times (but not just once), Amaya hangs. It ignores attempts to
> > close the window by the window manager, but reacts well to kill from
> > the shell. This behavior is repeatable. [...]

> OK. I'll try to repeat the bug.

This bug is also repeatable for the binary running under SunOS 5.6.

Uwe