Re: v2.4 on Win 95 (binary distribution)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr wrote:

+              <Pine.OSF.4.21.0001251438170.8607-100000@ermine.ox.ac.uk>
+ > On Tue, 25 Jan 2000 Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr wrote:
+ >
+ > + I tested your page and Amaya renders the transparency on all icons.
+ > + Nevertheless it's true that Amaya doesn't interpret the Align="right".
+ > + This won't be fixed in the next release :-(
+ >
+ > Thanks for looking Irene, you are the second person to report that the
+ > transparency looks ok in your copy of Amaya. Please have a look at
+ >
+ > 	http://users.ox.ac.uk/~malcolm/AmayaSnap.gif
+ >
+ > which shows how my copy of Amaya displays the page. That clearly shows the
+ > transparency being ignored for all but the third icon. I wonder if this
+ > means that I have to upgrade some underlying .dll within win95 to get it
+ > working 8-(
+
+ I agree. It's very strange. We will check if the transparency is always well
+ controlled.
+ Could you give us some parameters of your system:
+ Screen size (pixels)?
+ Number of colors?
+ Number of bits?

That's hit it right ... this PC isn't well endowed with video memory so I
run it 1024x768x16bit. When I switch it to 800x600x24bit Amaya renders
the transparency correctly.

Assuming there are lots of people out there running 1024x768 on a PC
without ill effects 8-) then it must the the 16bit colour that is causing
the problem. Hence my making this response to the list ... perhaps someone
else running 16bit colour on a PC can confirm or deny transparent GIFs are
rendered correctly.

regards,
	Malcolm.

 Malcolm.Austen@OUCS.ox.ac.uk     http://users.ox.ac.uk/~malcolm/