Re: Online help for upgrade ?

In our previous episode, Malcolm Austen said:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2000 jose.kahan@w3.org wrote:
>
> Perhaps I'm missing something obvious too ... I still can't see any
> instructions as to how to uninstall from Windows95. I could run my
> uninstaller of course, but the BinDist page clearly implies that there is
> an uninstall mechanism/procedure that will preserve user preferences. My
> present installation is 2.1 and I can't see anything in that version's
> manual about uninstalling and there is nothing titled "UnIns*" in the
> directories.

You're right. We do need an Uninstall doc page. In the meantime, I modified
the text, trying to make it clearer:

NOTE: You MUST first uninstall any previous version of Amaya from your system
before installing this one. To do so, use a tool in the Windows control panel
tool which allows to "install/remove programs" (the exact name depends on your
Windows versions... mine is in French!). This is a standard Windows tool.
You don't have to copy your Amaya user preferences as they won't be
affected by this operation.

> I appear to still have v1.4a left lying in \program Files\Thot too ... can
> I safely dump everything in that directory tree?

Well, preferences are stored in that tree (see the Configuring Amaya doc
page). If you scratch it, you'll loose them. And there will be some traces
left in the Windows history of installed program.

We'll try to improve the doc. If anyone has time and inspiration to give
it a shot, feel free to do so.

Hope this helps you out Malcolm,

Cheers,

-Jose