RE: Ogg.: URNs?

From: Paul Derbyshire <derbyshire@globalserve.net>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 14:23:48 -0400
To: Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
Cc: www-amaya@w3.org
At 05:00 PM 5/22/00 +0100, you wrote:

>> what's a URN?
>>

>	[DJW:]  Universal Resource Name.  A URI which does not depend on the
>	server name, i.e. it remains the same if you change ISP or want
>multiple
>	mirror sites.

Some kind of new W3C standard, I suppose? Sounds like a good idea, except
for one thing... where is the infrastructure going to come from? It means a
whole *new* hierarchy of name servers...and another bunch of money-grubbing
greedy and incompetent bastards in a parallel to internic controlling the
top of the hierarchy with a monopoly. :-) In any case, I thought
redirecters and virtual domains pretty much eliminated the trouble of
address changes, at least for those wealthy enough to afford a domain name.

...Or is this part of a scheme to steal Internic's thunder and provide a
means for every netizen wealthy or poor to have a memorable site name
instead of the poor being stuck with an address like
http://some.isp.com/~jrandom?

--
   .*.  "Clouds are not spheres, mountains are not cones, coastlines are not
-()  <  circles, and bark is not smooth, nor does lightning travel in a