Re: Reimplementation of Amaya in Java

From: Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng <hgs@dmu.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:05:58 +0100 (BST)
To: Paul Derbyshire <derbyshire@globalserve.net>
cc: www-amaya@w3.org
On Sat, 20 May 2000, Paul Derbyshire wrote:

> It is my humble opinion that Amaya should be reimplemented from the ground
> up in Java. The reasons for this are many-fold:
> 1. With all due respect, the current Amaya code is a mess, full of spaghetti
>    code and dubious casts and the like. Unsurprisingly, Amaya is notoriously

	I expect that well-structured patches designed to ease maintenance
	would be given consideration by the team.

> 2. Java is now mature enough to be used for such a large task. C++ also is.
> 3. However, if you use Java you get most of what you need for free, without

	Well, one price is that java is compiled to byte code, then
	interpreted.  If it compiles to native code you won't lose any
	speed, but I know of no true compilers for Java.

	Of course, all this assumes that the Amaya team have Java
	skills, on top of their other skills...