Re: Reimplementation of Amaya in Java

From: Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng <hgs@dmu.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 11:05:58 +0100 (BST)
To: Paul Derbyshire <derbyshire@globalserve.net>
cc: www-amaya@w3.org
On Sat, 20 May 2000, Paul Derbyshire wrote:

> It is my humble opinion that Amaya should be reimplemented from the ground
> up in Java. The reasons for this are many-fold:
>
> 1. With all due respect, the current Amaya code is a mess, full of spaghetti
>    code and dubious casts and the like. Unsurprisingly, Amaya is notoriously
	[...]

	I expect that well-structured patches designed to ease maintenance
	would be given consideration by the team.

> 2. Java is now mature enough to be used for such a large task. C++ also is.
> 3. However, if you use Java you get most of what you need for free, without
	[...]

	Well, one price is that java is compiled to byte code, then
	interpreted.  If it compiles to native code you won't lose any
	speed, but I know of no true compilers for Java.

	Of course, all this assumes that the Amaya team have Java
	skills, on top of their other skills...

	[...]
> Programmer & Humanist|ICQ: 10423848|

	Hugh