Re: URN-support in AMAYA?

From: <jose@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 10:03:26 -0400 (EDT)
To: Michael Derr <derr@zblmath.FIZ-Karlsruhe.DE>
Cc: www-amaya@w3.org
Hello Michael,

On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 12:37:10PM -0400, Michael Derr wrote:

> does anybody know something about URN-support of Amya?
> Actually URNs are not supported by normal browsers till now.
> May be there are proposals to integrate URNs in the next browser
> generation?

URNs need to be resolved into URLs. Typically, this is done by a specific
server. Today you can find a very good example of such a service at

	http://www.purl.org/

As to whether this should be integrated or not into a browser, I see it as
a special configuration option where you could set up a number of URN
resolver servers, something similar to the configuration of your DNS servers.

However, we're not yet there yet. I don't know the exact situation today,
but I suppose one of the problems is having people agree on how to use such
services.

-Jose