Re: www.infoworld.com == code breaker

From: Pierre Fortin <pfortin@SkyBest.com>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 13:39:55 -0400
To: Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng <hgs@dmu.ac.uk>
Cc: www-amaya@w3.org
Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:

> On Wed, 3 May 2000, Pierre Fortin wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > directly accessing the first frame at http://www.infoworld.com/pageone.html
> > since Amaya only displays basic frame info unless "/pageone.html" is appended.
> > Once the page displays, it is obviously very different from what Netscape or
> > Mozilla present.
>
> The W3C validator considers this page to be seriously ill :-) :-
>
> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.infoworld.com%2Fpageone.html&outline=

Thanks for the pointer!

> The question arises how far the very small Amaya team can go to prevent
> pathalogical responses to pathalogical input.  Ideally it should not
> loop forever, but...

...but, this raises another question:  should the validator just throw errors,
or should there be a "proposed/concept" option, or second validator which takes
rule-bending into account and helps evaluate future possibilities...?  I'd be
the last to propose a M$-like "embrace and extend" attitude; but standards don't
always stop when agreed upon.  Many evolve to new levels...  to wit: HTML
*4.0*...  But; by all means, flag M$ extensions as strict violations...  :^)

>         Hugh
>         hgs@dmu.ac.uk

Pierre