Re: ISO-Latin 1 as default encoding

From: Vincent Quint <quint@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 11:34:35 +0100
To: Serge Torres <Serge.Torres@ens.fr>
cc: www-amaya@w3.org
In this version, Amaya generates a meta element indicating the
charset only when the language of the whole document is indicated
by a lang attribute on the html or body elements.
This information about character encoding is generated when
the editor saves the document.

Vincent.

Serge Torres wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did not notice the change in encoding until Vincent Quint pointed it out.
> But does it mean we should add a charset attribute in the meta that holds
> the http-equiv, as adviced by HTML 4 RFC (5.2.2 : "... Therefore, user
> agents must not assume any default value for the "charset" parameter
> ...").? Amaya does not do it automatically, at least, on "old" (pre
> encoding switch) documents.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Serge Torres
>
> Ecole normale superieure (France)

Vincent Quint                       INRIA Rhone-Alpes
W3C/INRIA                           ZIRST
e-mail: Vincent.Quint@w3.org        655 avenue de l'Europe
Tel.: +33 4 76 61 53 62             38330 Montbonnot St Martin
Fax:  +33 4 76 61 52 07             France