Re: making MAP with block content

Hmm. I think I should have answered this a while ago, but I guess better late
than never...

What should happen is that if there is something inside a MAP other than an
AREA, it should be rendered (as usual).

It should be possible to create a MAP element in the same way as a DIV
element, and to add things inside it if one is created by defining an AREA
in an image.

Charles McCN

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999 Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr wrote:

  > MAP is allowed to have block content in HTML 4.0, and I am wondering wht
  > needs to be changed to make it work in Amaya
  >
  > I guess that the HTML.S needs change. Now it has MAP as
  >
  >   LIST Of (AREA)
  >
  > and that should be AREA, Block

  I know that new MAP specification of HTML 4.0 and the new proposed updates
  in HTML 4.01.
  In Amaya we didn't do anything around MAPs, firstly by lack of time, secondly
  because
  we didn't have a clear idea of what we have to do.
  Extending the HTML structure to accept a BLOCKQUOTE within a MAP is not so
  complex.
  But there are real issues around that:

  - as a MAP can includes a BLOCKQUOTE, a BLOCKQUOTE can include AREAs. We can
  add the
  BLOCKQUOTE level and it could be displayed in the "Alternate View". But what
  we have
  to do with AREAs within a simple BLOCKQUOTE.

  - what Amaya has to do when the user wants to create a MAP? Does it have to
  generate
  the BLOCKQUOTE? Does it have to open the "Alternate View" to encourage the
  author
  to add text around AREAs?

  - if a MAP may be associated with one or more elements (IMG, OBJECT, or INPUT),
  its should have more than one position and the element which follows that MAP
  must
  ignore the MAP existence. We know how to make the MAP overlapping ONE element
  and
  to make the following element ignoring the MAP existence. But we don't know
  how to
  overlaps more than one element. We should generate copies of the MAP and its
  contents.

  - if the MAP is not associated to any element it has to be displayed as a
  BLOCKQUOTE
  and the element which follows that MAP mustn't ignore the MAP existence. It's
  not
  very easy to express in the P language that the follwing element may ignore or
  not
  the MAP position. For us it would be better to have a simple BLOCKQUOTE here.

  > And the types menu needs to have Map as an option - but it looks like there
  > are a few things I need to do to allow a MAP that is not associated with an
  > image.
  >
  > (This is an accessibility requirement in particular)
  >
  > Any help would be greatly appreciated
  >
  > Charles McCN
  >
  > --Charles McCathieNevile            mailto:charles@w3.org
  > phone: +1 617 258 0992   http://www.w3.org/People/Charles
  > W3C Web Accessibility Initiative    http://www.w3.org/WAI
  > MIT/LCS  -  545 Technology sq., Cambridge MA, 02139,  USA

    Irene.

--Charles McCathieNevile    mailto:charles@w3.org  phone: +61 409 134 136
W3C Web Accessibility Initiative                    http://www.w3.org/WAI
21 Mitchell Street, Footscray, VIC 3011,  Australia (I've moved!)