transparent background gifs

From: John Russell <VE3LL@RAC.CA>
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 17:59:21 -0400
To: www-amaya-dev@w3.org, www-amaya@w3.org
Have any others noticed that transparent backgrounds for gifs
is not working --- at least this is true in the windows 95 world.

As a test go to my webpage as noted below and select the
hyperlink to 'test area' in my navbar at top of page.....
when working correctly this should display a white background
which explorer and netscape does [ netscape requires javascript
         to be turned on for css to work --- very strange] but
Amaya displays gray [or is that grey :-) ] background which was the
original color made transparent.
A further test can remove the css factor --- just modify the url to test1.htm
and the gif is a simple background ... in netscape and ie you will see
your default color with border   but in amaya it is gray ----
could others test and give me feedback to see if this is a platform
problem or a universal problem
originally i had thought it was a problem in interpreting a css statement
but i am now leaning to a 'transparant gif' rendoring or in this case
 non-rendoring.   If we can isolate the bug then a code wizard can hack!

john russell  VE3LL@RAC.CA

homepage: http://web.cgocable.net/~jrussel