RE: error tolerance within amaya

From: Charles E Taylor IV <charlet@hubcap.clemson.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 15:29:24 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-amaya@w3.org

On 08-Sep-99 Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> For a lot of users, missing ALT is the single most critical problem in being
> able to use a website. That is why it is required by the DTD, and is one
> example of why validating to the DTD is as important as working with
> browsers.

I don't think I entirely agree on this.  I've seen a fair portion of sites that
*do* use ALT and still make no sense using Lynx.  It doesn't help when the
image's ALT tag says "image".  I don't think there's really a way to validate
making sure the tags are actually useful for navigation without having a human
do it.

(That's why I like Amaya's text view option.  I don't even have to whip out
Lynx to check and see if my page makes sense in a text-based broswer.)

> Another is accessibility to people with disabilities - in many countries this
> is a legal requirement for large content providers (in the US for government
> and government funded providers. In Australia for people who offer services,
> including but not limited to sales, recreation, education, ...) and often
> people are usng things other than NS/IE for access. (Hence the work that is
> being done to make Amaya itself more accessible, and do things like require
> ALTs in images/image map areas...

I'm guessing that Amaya pre-2.1 (or possibly even 2.1 - I've edited some of my
pages with it, though most were originally created in 2.0) *doesn't* require
ALT tags in image maps?  That's the only part my Amaya-created pages fail on
the validator.

---
Charles E. "Rick" Taylor, IV <charlet@clemson.edu>
http://orangesherbert.ces.clemson.edu