RE: error tolerance within amaya

From: Dave J Woolley <DJW@bts.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 19:28:24 +0100
To: "'www-amaya@w3.org'" <www-amaya@w3.org>
> For a lot of users, missing ALT is the single most critical problem in
> being
> able to use a website. That is why it is required by the DTD, and is one
> example of why validating to the DTD is as important as working with
> browsers.

	Actually I agree, in part because I sometimes use Lynx,
	however missing ALT is probably the most common HTML error
	and accounted for most of the validation errors, so I wanted
	to point out that the failed pages didn't just fail on
	that point.

	Requiring it in the DTD, unfortunately, doesn't solve the
	problem as it is easy to shut up a validator by using
	alt="", if you are energetic, or leaving it as
	alt="silly-picture.gif (100MB)".  Even people who actually
	key something in rarely think about why it's really there.