Re: Amaya as a browser

From: <jose.kahan@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 12:59:37 +0200 (MET DST)
To: scten@winn.dhs.org (v10)
Cc: www-amaya@w3.org
(Forwarding the question+answer to the mailing list)

Hello Veren,

In our previous episode, v10 said:

> It seems that Amaya still remain the editoring mode
> behaviors that those elements in the loaded pages can be moved as you press
> backspace or delete keys impurposely.  I don't know whether this is
> considered as bug in Amaya development. But, it can be very serious issue
> in GUI or consistancy for users to use Amaya as a web browser.

Amaya is a testbed editor/browser, that's why you can edit pages with it.
For the moment, you can desactivate the editing mode by clicking on the
pencil icon, on the button bar. We're currently working on a profiles
feature for Amaya, which will allow the user to reorganize Amaya GUI in
an easy way.  We'll have a profile for browse-only mode and it'll remove
all the buttons and menu items that concern edition. Note that this is only
a run-time rejuggling of the Amaya GUI. The whole functionality will still
be in the binary. This feature will be available on the next Amaya release.

> I'm looking for an lightweight browser as my web browser development
> study. And will develop an lightweight browser too. Anyway, I found that
> Amaya has the best HTML and HTTP standards compliance. So, I am thinking of
> how to remove those webpage editoring features from Amaya and just remain
> the web browsing functions in Amaya. Do you think that it would happen? Or
> am I be allowed to do so?

I'll happen (thru the profiles menu). We don't have any plans
for the moment to modify the makefile and the code to be able to compile
a lighter Amaya "browse-only" binary. As the source code is available,
feel free to peek a look and eventually make a contribution :)

Regards,

-Jose