Re: unzipping source files

From: Hugh Sasse <hgs@dmu.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 09:01:57 +0100 (BST)
To: John Russell <VE3LL@RAC.CA>
On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, John Russell wrote:

> whien i use winzip 7.0 to try to unzip sources
> i get a message saying
> "please enter the full name of file within
> amaya-src-2_1_tar.gz
> and it defaults to
> amaya-src-2_1_tar.
> trying the default unzips into a 22 meg block
> but doesnt break it down any further
> and i am in the blind as to what other step to follow

	this is covered on the gzip faq page I mentioned before I think.
	Anyway, if you cannot persuade Winzip to read this then you
	can get Gnu Tar (described at:
	http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/tar.html
	Available from:
	ftp://ftp.cs.ubc.ca/mirror2/gnu/tar/
	nearest to you)
	This can unpack the whole thing in one step
	tar -zxvf filename.tar.gz
	but it is best to do
	tar -ztvf filename.tar.gz
	first to make sure that things will be be created where you
	want. t means table of contents.
	.tgz == .tar.gz by the way.

> john russell  VE3LL@RAC.CA
>
> homepage: http://web.cgocable.net/~jrussel