attempt to write sample snipets

From: John Russell <VE3LL@RAC.CA>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 1999 18:53:13 -0400
To: www-amaya@w3.org
If following enquiry on html language offends as it is
off topic --> please send notice to ve3ll@rac.ca and i
will cease and desist any non Amaya specific message

I am attempting to write code snippets as examples of
using style sheet codes. To wit how to include in file...
so i thought that i could use
<pre>
<script>   my example of how script container is used
</script>
</pre>
of course it doesnt work as <pre> doesn't shut off tag
interpretation --- after RTFM i note pre allows certain
tags for formatting purposes.  Fair enough. Wrong choice
of tags  so i then tried <SAMP>  for sample code
but it didnt work nor did <CODE>.  Is there no tag that
shuts off all interpretation until its closer is hit.....
I am now stuck with the rather crude character attribute
for lt and gt method.  Surely there is a better technique ???
john russell -- sorry for off topicness but the gurus of html
live on this list and as benny hill said 'cut out the middle men'

john russell  VE3LL@RAC.CA

homepage: http://web.cgocable.net/~jrussel