W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-amaya@w3.org > July to September 1999

Re: amaya quirks

From: <Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 11:17:20 +0200
Message-Id: <199908120917.LAA22107@tahiti.inrialpes.fr>
To: Joerg Wittenberger <Joerg.Wittenberger@pobox.com>
cc: www-amaya@w3.org
In-reply-to: Your message of Sun, 01 Aug 1999 13:05:51 -0400."
             <m1198OH-000ve8C@pflaume.softeyes.net> 
> Hello,
> 
> I'm loosly following the amaya development.  I like the very idea much
> and use it, just to get a feeling how future editors might look alike.
> The last version I checked out was some 1.4, which was pretty good.
> Now someone installed the 2.0 version, which tries to make me crazy:
> 
> * we use CVS; there is a field $Id which is supposed to be kept at one
> line.  I old days we could achive that by formating the source, now we
> get it screwed.
> 
> * some ppl don't want to use amaya (and I, personaly, consider it
> close to crime to force somebody to use a certain editor).
> 
> Unfortunalty amaya preserves the structure, but has it's own idea of
> indenting the code even while it doesn't care about.  Why?  This could
> be left to those who actualy care.

We're considering that problem, but it's not so easy to maintain original
spaces. When Amaya parses the source file it generates a tree structure
conform with the HTML DTD and the user edits that tree structure.
When Amaya saves the new version of the document, the source is generated 
from the tree structure. To maintain original spaces we should store them 
somewhere in the tree structure.

> This total rewrite function is the second threat to CVS and finaly
> able to trigger the "rm -rf Amaya" command.
> 
> * worst: I edited a web page, which documents some sgml tags.  The
> file I opened with amaya read "... <code>&lt;para&gt;</code>...".
> The I deleted a (different) line saved the file and now the sequence
> read "...<code><para></code>..."

I tested that and the result was "... <code>&lt;para></code>..."
because Amaya forgot that the original ">" was the noted as an entity.
Perhaps the solution should be to let the user choose the output form
"ISO notation" or "entity notation".

Regards
  Irene.
Received on Thursday, 12 August 1999 05:17:24 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Tuesday, 1 April 2014 11:01:33 UTC