Re: Summary: Amaya mishandling HREF values that contain ampersand

From: <Bertrand.Ibrahim@cui.unige.ch>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 18:35:52 +0200
To: www-amaya@w3.org
jose.kahan@w3.org said:
> If we're making a local file access, we'll then first convert the %26
> into '&' then do search the file

I guess you're assuming that, in this case, the '&' will be part of a file
or directory name, not a field separator in the <searchpart>. Indeed, if you
look at RFC 1738, section 5 (BNF for specific URL schemes), you find:

  fileurl        = "file://" [ host | "localhost" ] "/" fpath

and

  fpath          = fsegment *[ "/" fsegment ]
  fsegment       = *[ uchar | "?" | ":" | "@" | "&" | "=" ]

In addition, section 3.10, describing the file URL scheme, says:

 "A file URL takes the form:

    file://<host>/<path>

  ...   <path> is a hierarchical

I interpret this as meaning that a file URL can contain unreserved characters
or escaped characters or any of '?', ':', '@', '&' and '='. All these
characters will be considered as part of a directory name or a file name.

This is of course only my opinion. Peace,

Bertrand Ibrahim.
Bertrand.Ibrahim@cui.unige.ch
http://cuiwww.unige.ch/eao/www/Bertrand.html