Re: Amaya mishandling HREF values that contain ampersand

From: Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@computing-services.oxford.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 12:20:47 +0100 (BST)
To: "Alan J. Flavell" <flavell@a5.ph.gla.ac.uk>
cc: Amaya List <www-amaya@w3.org>
On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Alan J. Flavell wrote:

+ The archive contains a message
+ http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-amaya/1999AprJun/0082.html

I don't recall the message and the archive has just timed out on me ...

+ I recently got involved elsewhere in a discussion of this issue, i.e
+ when forming an HREF to a URL that contains an ampersand, the need to
+ represent the ampersand as &amp; .  In general, omitting to do so will
+ result in failure of HTML syntax validation (on the grounds of an
+ undefined entity), as I'm sure is well known.  But after writing &amp;
+ the HREF no longer works correctly in Amaya.

Surely, in a URL an ampersand is escaped as %26 ?

&amp; is the escape in html and the (quoted) string value in an href isn't
html. Does it need to be escaped in the URL? - I haven't checked the rules
but don't the quotes protect it from the (html) "&" escape mechanism?

 ... but maybe I missed something obvious and am talking rubbish 8-)

regards,
	Malcolm.

 Malcolm.Austen@OUCS.ox.ac.uk     http://users.ox.ac.uk/~malcolm/