Re: Double click problem

On 25-Mar-99 Roger S. Miller wrote:

> I think this is actually a long-standing problem.  I believe I reported
> it last year for an earlier binary (1.3, I think) with the Openlook
> window manager and X11R6.1 on a Linux 2.x box and the same problem is
> still there with the 1.4a binary.  The double click works fine under
> the Lesstif window manager (mwm) on the same box.
>
> Someone else reported the problem just after I did, but I don't recall
> ever seeing the problem addressed.

Yes, I finally found your message back in Nov 1997. There were other
messages earlier and later about the same problem, including responses
from Irčne Vatton.

The Amaya developers don't seem to have encountered this problem
themselves. This could suggest a number of possibilities.

Maybe there's some quirk about the Thot libraries on Linux. Maybe the
static binaries (presumably with Motif) interact badly. Maybe the
suggestion to compile it oneself (with all that that implies about
laying in lesstif etc and crossing one's fingers) might be a solution.

However, the fact that W3C put out a Linux binary sugegsts that they
themselves can get it to work on Linux. Could the developers state which
WM or WMs they have tried it on successfully? Have they encountered the
problem with some WMs on Linux?

This is the first application I have ever encountered which failed
totally to recognise double click. The nearest I had before was XFMail
which, under KDE/KWM at any rate, has to be double-clicked very carefully;
but this is a known problem with the XForms library that XFMail uses.
Even so, it does work if you practice!

Meanwhile, though Amaya looks like an excellent editor if not browser,
even for that purpose you need to be able to follow links in the
document you are editing. For experimental purposes I'm willing to try
it out using a non-KDE environment (e.g. fvwm), but I don't want to give
up my KDE for general use!

I think the root of this problem needs to be tracked down. Even if it
persists, knowing where it lies may enable people to take appropriate
prophylactic steps in compiling.

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>