Re: amaya formatting ?

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> There isn't a really good way to do this in HTML.
>
> The trick that people use is to make a table, and use centred alignment in
> each of the cells. The cells then auto-size in many browsers, which
> provides even spacing. But using tables for layout in this way is not
> realy what they were meant for, and can raise accessibility problems. (For
> a fuller discussion see

Then, Why is it used in the Amaya startup page? Or is this your personal
statement?

> http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/WD-WAI-PAGEAUTH-19990226. My short version is
> "don't use tables for layout". Which is actually listed as a checkpoint in
> the guidelines.) An alternative would be to use display:float in a
> stylesheet, but I haven't tried to do that in amaya yet, so I don't know
> how you do it or whether it is implemented.
>
> Charles McCathieNevile
>
> On Sun, 28 Feb 1999, tony mollica wrote:
>
>   Hi. This may not be the forum for this but
>   I'd like to try anyway.  I'm trying to use
>   amaya 1.4a and what I'd like to do is set
>   up a row of buttons (.gif's) spaced evenly
>   across the page but after I insert the
>   button images and the spaces to separate them,
>   re-loading the page eliminates the spaces
>   between the images.

It is done (with text buttons, but that's no problem) in the Amaya startup
page! See the blue line at the bottom.
file:${AMAYAHOME}/thot/amaya/AmayaPage.html, I could not find the page on
http://www.w3.org/.

>   I thought I saw something on this some time
>   back, but I'm unable to find it now.  Any
>   suggestions to get this to work would be
>   appreciated, especially if there is a  better
>   way to do this.

CB

--
When I became a man, I put away childish things, including my fear of
childishness, and the desire to be very grown up. - C. S. Lewis