Re: Edit / browse

On Tue, 23 Feb 1999, Juha Manninen wrote:

> Hi!
> Now there is the option to switch between editor and browse modes. The
> next logical step would be to allow a single click to enter a link in
> browse mode, just like the other browsers do. Or is there some reason
> not to do so?

Uh oh...  ;-)

We debated this a few weeks ago and it turned into a completely
unnecessary religious debate about how we like our window manager's set
up, etc etc.  Basically, the two opposing views are:

1) The GUI should be uniform across the two modes, so if we have
double-click in editor mode, it should be double-click in browser mode
too.

2) Single click would be nice, and it is worth breaking aforementioned
uniformity to do so.

Personally, I think it should be possible to place such a decision at the
door of the end user, but no development, AFAIK, is being done in that
direction at the moment.

I don't think any more debate along these lines is necessary - the two
opinions mentioned above are irreconcilable.

Ewan Mellor.