Re: Automatic switch between browse and edit

On Thu, Jan 21, 1999 at 09:32:17AM +0100, Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr wrote:

> > I understand that such a UI thing is down to personal preference.
> > Personally, I use IE quite a lot, and I like single-click browsing.  I

> In many environments the activate metaphor is associated with the
> double-click and not the simple-click.

This makes sense to me.
Click -> erm (thinking sound)(select)
Click Click -> Yes (do something)

The other option is to support the three button mouse world
[select][menu][adjust]
Left mouse would activate a link
Middle mouse would pull up a menu in the context of a link
Right mouse can extend a selection or tick off options in a pop up menu
without dismissing it.
But this is probably too far from the Microsoft UI hegemony.
To digress. Most young people, in my experience,  don't know where the
concept of cut & paste comes from!

Mark.

--
Mark Stephens Esq., Experimental Officer,
Electrical Engineering, The Manchester School of Engineering,