Re: Automatic switch between browse and edit

On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Corne Beerse wrote:

> Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr wrote:

> > > Verry nice, the switch between edit and browse mode. One question on it: Can
> > > it be automatic?
> > >
> > > I think of the nedt options:
> > > If the file (on read) is readonly, switch to browse mode
> > > If the file (on read) is writable, switch to edit mode
> > >

> > > Files fetched with from internet should be regarded as 'readonly' by
> > > default, except for given domains: in the thotrc file: "writable domains".
> > > With respect to this, the domain ftp://user:passwd@host.domain/ is an other
> > > domain as ftp://host.domain/.
> > >
> > > Once the file is saved (with save as) it is a new (writable) file and a
> > > switch to edit mode is expected accordingly.

[ Snip ]

This behaviour seems sensible to me, too; those who only use Amaya to edit
will find that the behaviour is exactly as it was before (always
read-write), whilst those that browse will gain the benefits of read-only
mode.

I have recently been thinking that I would like Amaya to change certain
factors of its behaviour when in read-only (browsing) mode.  For example,
following links and pressing buttons could be single-click actions instead
of double-clicks.  The toolbar could also change.  For example, the save
button could be replaced by a "home" button.  These features would make
Amaya more comfortable to use when browsing.  All of the functionality
could of course be activated or deactivated depending upon the user's
configuration.

I think that the automatic RO/RW switch would complement such features,
and that such a switch is acceptable.

> If Amaya has a statement on it, I'm only one user vote to change this.

Vote 2 :-)

Ewan Mellor.