Re: Problem with "make install": Missing file amaya/Amaya?

On Fri, 15 Jan 1999 Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr wrote:

> > Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr writes:
> >
> > > Normally a new install should remove the old one.
> >
> > An uninstall should attempt to remove the files it installed.  An
> > install should not make any assumptions about the environment it is
> > going into.  Casually removing a complete directory tree is a bad idea
>
> Sorry, I just wanted to clean up the place in this release after the move from
> $prefix/share/thot to $prefix/thot. Install won't delete anything in next
> release.

I suggest you have 2 install options for this.  I almost always chuck out
the old source distributions of software some time before I get the new
stuff, so I don't have the facility to uninstall the previous versions
using make uninstall as people seem to expect. (Reason?  Disk space.).
So having a make target to clear out files known to be in the destination
tree from provious releases is a useful idea.  But you don't have to make
its use mandatory.

	Hugh
	hgs@dmu.ac.uk