Re: Need for a Thot tree

From: <Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 10:01:54 +0200
To: Joseph Joseph Panjikaran <josephj@wipinfo.soft.net>
> Hello,
> I am have downloaded the Amaya for Windows 95/NT.
> What is the significance of the *.S,*.P , *.STR.....etc.How do
> I generate them? What is the significance of 'schemas'?

Amaya is based on the Thot toolkit wich is able to manage general
structured documents. *.S are Structured schema sources (like SGML DTDs).
*.P are Presentation schema sources, gerenic description of how to display
each structure element in the S schema.
*.T are Translation schema sources, gerenic description of how to generate
an external syntax for each structure element in the S schema.
*.STR are compiled versions of Structured schemas, *.PRS are compiled versions
of Presentation schemas and *.TRA are compiled versions of Translation schemas.
These compiled files are generated by specific Thot compilers str, prs and tra.

> I wish to add FRAME support also.
> How can I proceed?

Today str, prs and tra compilers are not available on Windows platforms,
so you first need an Unix platform to proceed.
We plan to introduce frames in the next Amaya release of mid-September, but
the frame support will be very limited: only the parsing is taken into account,
in the first time.
I think you could help after that new release.

> Can I get some detailed documentation about the design issues of Amaya?
> Thanking u in advance....

You can read the note "An Introduction to Amaya" at
http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-amaya-970220.html
and have a look at the section "Developer's corner" in
http://www.w3.org/Amaya/User/Overview.html.

Regards